Sunday, June 11, 2006

Weekends

I often talk a walk in Amsterdam on weekends. Actually, I don’t mean to do so when I leave my apartment. I usually have a targeted place. It just turns out that stores or markets are closed on Sundays and Holidays which I don't realize until I get there. So, because it is gorgeous outside, I just start walking in new neighborhoods with a tour guide book in my hand. It is a summer–season now, so there are many tourists doing the same. Last weekend, when I was walking after finding out that the market was closed, a group of about five grandpas and grandmas came up to me and asked “Where is Albert Cuyp Market?” Well, so it is not only me not realizing the market is closed on holidays, I told them, “It seems it is closed today because of holiday.” From the expression those senior people have on their faces, I totally understand how they are feeling. Besides, I live in Amsterdam, so there are many chances to come and visit again for me, but these people may be planned to leave to their country tomorrow. Of course, I would love to introduce them some nice places to visit in the neighborhood, but I’m still new here. Sorry.

Photo: A very common view of Amsterdam Canals. There are many boat-houses, but I'm not sure how their addresses are set.





Strange statues in my neighborhood. They look like a thing to use for fishing (reel?). They are really big.
Besides taking strolls, I also cook a lot on weekends. When I do, I make enough amounts for a few meals, so I can feed myself well during the week. Because I don’t have bad eating habits like I used to in New York (Chinese take out etc), I lost weight since I moved here! Anyways, the most sophisticated thing I've made so far is croquettes. It is not like the Dutch ones, but more like Japanese style. It’s a mixture of lots of potatoes, ground beef and vegetables inside, and then Panko on the outside. Unfortunately, I have not found Panko here in Amsterdam; I had to use Dutch croquette stuff. They are basically the same thing; they both are made out of bread, but Panko is bigger pieces. I’m actually planning to visit Chinatown and see if I can find Panko there.

One weekend morning, I made Dutch pancakes (of course, out-of-box stuff). They are different from Japanese or American ones. They are thinner but not as thin as crepes. I love pancake syrup in general, but the one in the picture on the right is not my liking. After one bite, I knew I was not going to taste it again. I tried jam, too. The one on the left is mandarin jam. It is a bit bitterer than regular orange marmalade, but it is really good. You can taste mandarins. My best among those is definitely nutella! It is always the winner for me!

No comments: