Thursday, January 18, 2007

Hong Kong, China

On the 9th of January until the 13th, I came to Hong Kong. Even though the view from my hotel room window was great, the bed was as hard as a rock. I had never slept on such a hard bed before. I regretted that I should have picked a hotel on my own. It was not so pleasant to get up and go to work after having no good night sleep.
On the way to work, there was this area with many butchers one after another. Those butchers are outside both for pork and beef. When I looked at them closely, I found many interesting things hanging down on the wall including something I’d seen before or something I couldn’t even guess what it was.
In the bottom-middle of the picture above, there is a long beef tail. It is not skinless, so you can see the actual beef tail as is hanging down. Also, right next to it, I think it is breast of cows, but I am not sure.
In the next store, there were pork legs hanging down. These were pretty impressive to me! and disgusting! Those legs were grouped for long ones and small ones. I guess those were front and back legs. They look pretty gross.
Other than those, I saw a pig nose cut right off the face but a long piece up to the top of the head; basically, a pig head but no sides of the face.
A bag full of beef balls.

Two out of three day stay, I had dim sum for lunch.
This is the menu as well as the order sheet. First, you write down a number on dishes that you would like. Then, they take the sheet and bring food. It is amazing to describe each dish in such short words. I can understand some of the Chinese characters, but it is hard to identify what those dishes are. Luckily, I don’t have to order by myself. Let the locals do it for me for best dishes!
Dishes came out one after another. It seemed almost nonstop. Some of the dishes couldn’t make it to the Lazy-Susan (turning table). Of course, we finished them all.

The next morning, I had dim sum again.
Dim sum at nine in the morning at the airport before my flight to the next destination. What I didn’t know when I took this picture was that I felt sick the whole day after this meal. I guess dim sum for breakfast is certainly not for me. I’m Japanese with a Japanese stomach.

This time’s Hong Kong trip was short. And the only thing I can remember is dim sum...

No comments: