Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Reykjavik, Iceland

On May 11th, 2006, I departed to Reykjavik, Iceland for company's conference. This event has been everyone’s favorite every year. We now are more than 200 people from the US, Brazil, Sweden, England, Denmark, the Netherlands, Germany, Indonesia…

As soon as we arrived in Reykjavik, we headed to Blue Lagoon. This huge hot spring was so relaxing! It is not as hot as Japanese one, but it is just right temperature. As you can see in the photo, there is a place in the back where lots of steam is coming out. That’s where super hot water is blowing out. I could really feel it. Maybe it’s about 100F (40C).

Someone told me that it had been raining before we arrived. We were pretty lucky to have blue sky during our stay. The photo on the left is the day time. I could see some left over snow on top of the mountains in the back.
Because Iceland is very much in the North, even after 9 pm, it is still bright outside, just like during the day. Even midnight, it is still bright. By 2 in the morning, it was fairly dark, but still bright like 8pm in New York. It was unbelievable! The photo on the right was taken around 10pm from a restaurant on top of a hill. This restaurant was really cool. It has a dorm roof, and the floor rotates so we can enjoy the 360 degree Reykjavik’s view!


About 1000 years ago’s explosion made this… I think.









Water Fall in Iceland. (I’m sure it has a name.) Can you see the rainbow in the photo on the right? On this day, I saw many rainbows after the rain stopped. In the picture on the left, there is a "dot", my colleague, Johan, running on the side walk. This is how large the water fall is!















Geysir. Every 7 minutes or so, hot water shoots up from a deep hole in the underground. The photos are the explosion's before and after.

This is the smaller Geysir. Can you see the water boiling?









Even though this was only four day trip, I really had lots of fun. Drinking was going on every night. Actually, an official company party was on the third night in the panorama dorm restaurant. It was a great event. We had a band playing all night and lots of people dancing! For the rest of the nights, we were hanging out by either going to the bars in downtown or staying at the hotel’s bar. It was very relaxing. No hard parties! (at least not this year for me.) I finally had learned my limit, so no hang over. I think I’ve grown up!

No comments: