The view was great because of the wind mills, but we did not see any local people in traditional clothes, but the workers in souvenir shops. We gave this village a new name, Epcot from Disney World. It looked all fake.
Merken is also known as the town that carries the traditional cultures, like people are wearing traditional clothes in their every day life. We didn’t see local people outside in this town much to begin with, but the man I saw was wearing suspenders. Does it count? Monica and I stopped by at this small souvenir shop, and there she was; an old lady in “the” clothes sitting on a chair behind the casher knitting. She was very quiet and looked very cute. She was wearing red-white stripes shirt with a vest and a long skirt and a white hat. She looked like she would appear in a children’s book. I was very pleased to meet (see) her finally. This town is not Epcot!
Monica and I didn’t have breakfast, so we were pretty hungry. We walked and walked looking for a restaurant. But this town seems very small that there are not so many restaurants or café’s. It almost looked like everyone in this town know each other that they don’t need a restaurant to go out to, but rather go to the best cook neighbor’s house to have dinner.
Because we didn’t find any place for food or didn’t see local people outside, we were about to turn back to the car to drive back to Amsterdam…
Monica’s stay was only for one week, but I really enjoyed her stay as well as the sightseeing!

No comments:
Post a Comment