Sunday, May 20, 2007

Queen's Day, The Netherlands

April 30th is Queen's Day (Koninginnedag) in the Netherlands. This is the craziest day in the year. People are partying all day long. Look how many boats are on the canal; absolutely too many. Can you see the people on the bridge watching boats going by in the back? Lots of tourists visit Amsterdam on this day.

When I went out to check out the neighborhood, it was already going nuts. There was bungee jump going on the street (not above water!), and it is just full of people everywhere.


I decided walking towards Rembrandtplein (Rembrandt Square), and on the way there I saw these beautiful ladies serving beers!

Once I stepped into Rembrandtplein, I told myself "What a mistake!" I just couldn't move. Too many people!
I looked back and see if it was easier to go back. I didn't think so. I just followed the crowd and got out of the mess after 20mins or so which usually takes 3 minutes to go across the square. People are dancing, drinking and ... just everything including smoking, of course!


People are in orange on Queen's Day. What's coming out of the boat on the left is bubbles!

After walking around the neighborhood for about an hour, I came back to my apartment. The party is still going on outside. Boats are still going back and forth on the canal. Don't get me wrong. I love my apartment facing the canal and enjoy the view, but not this particular day. Boats don't just pass by, but they have very loud speakers!! When I felt I had enough of Queen's Day, I shut my windows, plucked earphones and watched a movie at home. That was my first Queen's Day.

(Lucky me. A boat with loud speakers was parked right in front of my apartment until 11pm... I'm not kidding.)

No comments: