Saturday, March 03, 2007

Athens, Greece III

The Parthenon on Acropolis of Athens was built in the 5th century BC. It was amazing to stand there looking up this precious building!

It was in the middle of reconstruction, and it seems this will last for decades. I don't remember the exact year, but I remember my tour guide mentioned that we can probably visit once after the completion. So I would assume it would be another 30 or 40 years! If you are thinking of visiting there to see the complete shape, you don't need to plan anything yet! You've got some time until then.

Parthenon stands on top of a hill. This is the view looking down from Propylaea which stands right by the Parthenon. It is really high up there, and you can see the whole city of Athens!


On Acropolis, there is a theater, called Herodes Atticus Odeon, built in 161. It is difficult to see in this picture, but there is a stage at the bottom of the seating area. In 1950's, the seating are was restored with new marble, and it is still used as a theater for musicals or shows. Can you imagine sitting here at night with moon light? That must be beautiful and romantic!

A very old neighborhood, called Plaka, just under the Aropolis. The buildings are very pretty with narrow streets. I loved walking in the neighborhood. I could imagine myself living there for sure.

Some of the buildings looked really old. I think they are really old.


I made a lunch stop in Plaka. I ordered lamb Souvlaki and Dolma. The interesting part about Greek food in Greece was that it's so simple! My Souvlaki came with french fries, nothing more.

When I was in New York, I used to live in the Greek neighborhood called Astoria. And there were fantastic Greek food restaurants. I used to enjoy their foods so much that I was dreaming of the real Greek food in Greece.

It turned out to be that I live Greek food in New York more than the ones in Greece! How could that be possible? The difference is what else comes with the main meal. For example, if I order grilled salmon in NY, then it comes with lots of other stuff like lemon potatoes, green vegetables and fantastic sauce with feta cheese. I guess I like the extra, not exactly only what I order on the plate.

Good-bye, Greece. If there is a next time, I'd like to come back in the sun-shine summer time!

No comments: