Saturday, July 01, 2006

Jakarta, Indonesia II

A lunch box in Indonesia!

This is a Chinese lunch box. From what I heard, when there is a meeting or training, lunch boxes are usually prepared for everyone. The lunch box from the previous day was Indonesian. Some soupy stuff like coconut curry sauce comes in a very small bag tied on top, and then you put the sauce on top of rice. A fruit comes in the box as well; a banana or a slice of melon in a small bag. Of course, those fruits are warm because they were in the lunch box, or more like on top of the food. In my opinion, Indonesian food is somewhere in between Vietnamese and Thai food. I really like it. Chinese tastes like standard Chinese, more like Chinese food in Japan, not the one in the states.

I think Indonesians look similar to Japanese. Heidi, whom I work with here, looks just like the girl I used to work with in Japan. One day, she took me to a shopping mall, and when I wanted to call her from far away, I was about to call her “Yumi-chan!” She really looks like her. But sometimes, it takes time to remember who looks like whom. For example, this guy in my training class; I knew he looked like someone I know, but I had no idea who that was. He didn’t look like any of my Japanese guy friends. Then, all the sudden it hit me. He looks so much like a Japanese comedian from Osaka. Not only the way he looks, but the way he acts. It’s interesting to see two different races look so similar to each other. Other than that, one guy looks like the Pakistanis guy I knew in New York, and also other guys who look like other Japanese comedians. Somehow, those Indonesian guys make me remember all those Japanese comedians that I didn’t even think about for a long time. It’s interesting.

No comments: