
My first durian exposure!
Heidi took me to a shopping mall, and when we went to the first floor, all the sudden this nasty smell hit me really hard. It was coming from a pile of drains in a store which had doors closed, and durian section was all the way in the back of the store. That’s how strong the smell is. Of course, once you get in the store, the smell becomes even stronger!
I used to see the durians on TV shows in Japan. What I know about it is that it is the king of fruits and smells really bad but supposedly tasty. Also, as side knowledge, the “bad” smell is like poop-smell. Okay, actually it’s not that bad. But it certainly smells like something that is not eatable. I guess it smells like garbage. It defintely is smelly.
 |
| Once we got into the store, and I was looking at the durians very curiously, this guy in the picture asked me if I wanted to try it. I hesitated for a bit, but why not? So he cut me a piece, and I put it in my mouth! It was actually good. I’m not sure how to describe it, but it is similar to avocado in texture-wise. Because it is very soft, you don’t really have to chew it. It’s like a chunk of butter I guess. It melts down in a way. Some Indonesians eat the whole durian by themselves. Me? Now that I know how it tastes like, but also I know the smell of it, I probably won’t eat it again. I think I’m done with durians! |
 | The inside of durian (the eatable part) looks like this. It looks similar to bamboo shoots. |
 | I found something called “Dragon Fruits.” I’m not sure anthing about it, but doesn’t it look like it has position? |
 | Eggs are sold in a pack or individually. The individual ones are cheaper. I can understand that because those individually sold eggs had some feather and some poop-like thing on them. |
 | This is the traditional puppets in Indonesia, maybe from Bali. |
2 comments:
Aha! I'm fascinated that you tried Durian! When some friends of mine were travelling, they found hotels that had signs posted saying NO DURIAN ALLOWED. I think it's hilarious that a hotel would put up an embargo against...fruit. Though from the way it's described, I can see why!
Yes, it is even worse! My friend, Heidi, bought a pack of durian, and as soon as we got in a car, the smell of durian was all over, stronger and stronger. It's simply because she was sitting right in front of the AC! I did not want to offend them, so I was trying to hold my breath!
Post a Comment